Breakthrough experimental epidural stimulation for spinal cord injury.
About the PSA
Rob Summers' story has become the focus of a public service announcement developed by the Reeve Foundation's advertising partner BBDO New York and designed to build awareness and bolster support of research to find cures for spinal cord injury. Read the official announcement.
FAQ - Epidural spinal cord stimulaiton
The top 11 questions asked about epidural spinal cord stimulation including how one qualifies to be a subject.
These links provide information on the basic science behind epidural stimulation and locomotor training.
- Research overview
- Learn the background of the science and about the key researchers.
- Read the paper as published in The Lancet: "Effect of epidural stimulation of the lumbosacral spinal cord on voluntary movement, standing and assisted stepping after motor complete paraplegia: A case study."
- Listen to The Lancet podcast
- Interview with V. Reggie Edgerton, PhD, UCLA
Meet Rob Summers
The Rob Summers story is about the long road to scientific discovery. It's also a testament to stubborn motivation.
- Rob Summers: Robust Recovery from Pioneering Research
- Rob Summers featured on ESPN.com
- Buick Human Highlight Reel featuring Rob Summers
On May 19, 2011, the the Reeve Foundation hosted a press conference about the epidural stimulation project and publication.
- Media Coverage.
- Research wins Popular Mechanics "Breakthrough Award"
- Paralyzed rats walk again, raising hope for humans (NYTimes, 9/09)
Read our blog on worldwide SCI research
The latest news and information about what's going on with SCI science. READ THE BLOG.
Support leading edge research
Support Reeve Foundation research that will help more and more people like Rob Summers improve function, health and quality of life.