The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation
Best Dad on Wheels Official Contest Rules
Enter the contest.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. A purchase or payment will not improve your chances of winning. Nominations for the Best Dad on Wheels Contest (the "Contest") starts at 12:01 a.m. on Eastern Time ("ET") on May 12, 2014 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on June 9, 2014 (the "Promotion Period"). Eastern Time shall control for all purposes of this Contest. Online voting starts after the top 10 have been selected by Reeve Foundation judges and the top 10 have been verified, beginning at 12:01 a.m. on Eastern Time ("ET") on June 23, 2014 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on July 7, 2014. The Contest is governed by these Official Rules, and is subject to all applicable U.S. federal, state and local laws, and provincial or territorial laws, and is void wherever prohibited by law.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The nominee of the Contest must be a male and a biological, adoptive or foster father. Any individuals (including the entrant and nominee) who have, within one year prior to the start date of the Contest, performed services for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation (Foundation) and Tilt-a_rack, or their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and successor companies or any organizations responsible for fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting the Contest or supplying any prize, and the immediate family and household members of such individuals, are not eligible to enter the Contest or win the prize. "Immediate family members" shall mean parents, step-parents, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses, regardless of where they live. "Household members" shall mean people who share the same residence at least three months a year, whether related or not. In order to enter the Contest or receive the prize, you must fully comply with the Official Rules, and by entering you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Foundation, whose decisions shall be binding and final in all respects, and you certify that you are eligible to enter.
2. HOW TO ENTER: To enter, visit www.ChristopherReeve.org/BestDad (the "Web Site") during the Promotion Period and completely fill out all the required fields on the entry form, including your first and last name, email address, daytime telephone number (including area code), and your nominee's first and last name, and include a 200 words or less essay (Essay) about why your nominee/father should be selected as the winning nominated father (the "Nominated Father") of the Contest based upon the Judging Criteria stated in Paragraph 3 of these Official Rules (the "Entry Material"). Then submit your entry by clicking on the "submit" button located at the bottom of the entry page (the "Entry" or "Entries"). ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59 P.M. ET ON June 9, 2014. Limit one (1) Entry per person. Entries by the same person in excess of the limits stated herein will be disqualified. All Entry Material/Entries you submit must be original to entrant alone, not copied or plagiarized, and not created in collaboration with anyone, and cannot have been submitted to or published by any other publication, and you must own all copyrights in the Entry Material/Entry, have full rights and authority to grant the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation. the rights, title, interests and copyrights to use the Entry Material/Entry, as provided in the Official Rules, and have acquired any necessary releases with respect to the Entry Material/Entry. Furthermore, Entry Material/Entry cannot contain the image or likeness of or reference in any identifiable way (for example, by first and last name, or by any part of a name that is identifiable) any person other than the entrant, including, but not limited to, any depictions of celebrities, unless a signed release from such person(s) is submitted to Sponsors along with the Entry Material/Entry. Entry Material/Entry cannot describe, in any identifiable way, any copyrights, trademarks/tradenames, logos, or similar brand identifying marks, third party artistic works, or describe, depict or contain any illegal, dangerous or unsafe activity, or be otherwise obscene or inappropriate.
3. JUDGING CRITERIA; SEMI-FINALIST SELECTION: The semi-finalist Nominated Fathers of the Contest will be determined on or about June 17, 2014. A committee of employees from the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation shall select the top 10 Nominated Fathers based on the following criteria:
- he is male and a biological, adoptive or foster father;
- he is living with paralysis;
- his impact on family and the impact he has had on his community;
- the completeness of the Essay as it relates to the above;
- organization and development of the ideas expressed, with clear and appropriate examples to support them; and
- consistency in the use of language, variety in sentence structure and range or vocabulary, use of proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.
4. SEMI-FINALIST NOTIFICATION: Semi-finalist Nominated Fathers and the person who nominated them will be contacted by email on or about June 23 2014 to verify their entry. If any of the semi-finalists and the person who nominated them cannot be contacted and/or their information cannot be verified they will be disqualified and the Reeve Commitee will select a replacement from the online nominations.
5. ONLINE VOTING FOR FINALIST: The winner of the Best Dad on Wheels Contest will be determined by an online vote. The photos and essays of the 10 semi-finalists will be posted online to be voted on by the public. Online voting starts after the top 10 have been selected by Reeve Foundation judges and the top 10 have been verified, set at 12:01 a.m. on Eastern Time ("ET") on June 23, 2014 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on July 7, 2014. The semi-finalist at the end of the online voting process will be declared the winner of the Best Dad on Wheels 2014.
- The Foundation will then send to the potential Winning Father and the person who nominated him by email, at the email address on the Entry, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability, Publicity Release, unless prohibited by law, and any other documentation that the Foundation requires (the "Affidavit"). In order for the potential Winning Nominated Father to redeem the prize, the potential Winning Nominated Father and the person who nominated him ((his/her parent/legal guardian if a resident of a jurisdiction that deems him/her to be a minor) shall sign and return to Sponsors the Affidavit within three (3) days from the date the Foundation sent the Affidavit. In the event:
- (a) potential Winning Nominated Father or person who nominated him cannot be reached for whatever reason after a reasonable effort has been exerted based on the information stated in the Entry,
- (b) of noncompliance with the above or within any of the aforesaid time periods,
- (c) potential Winning Nominated Father or person who nominated him is found to be ineligible to enter the Contest or Winning Nominated Father is found to be ineligible to receive the prize,
- (d) potential Winning Nominated Father or person who nominated him cannot or does not comply with the Official Rules,
- (e) potential Winning Nominated Fathers or person who nominated him's notification or Affidavit is returned as undeliverable for whatever reason, or
- (f) potential Winning Nominated Father or person who nominated him fails to fulfill the Affidavit-related obligations, the potential Winning Nominated Father and the person who nominated him shall be disqualified from the Contest and an alternate potential winning Nominated Father and person who nominated him may be selected, at Foundation's sole discretion, from among the other eligible semi-finalist. Winner selection is under the supervision of the Foundation, whose decisions are final and binding in all respects. If person who nominated him and/or Nominated Father's e-mail address or telephone number changes after he/she enters the Contest, it is the entrant's sole responsibility to notify the Foundation by postal mailing notice to the address stated below to be received before the end of the Promotion Period.
6. PRIZES: Prizes/Awards: Winning Nominated Father for the Best Dad on Wheels 2014 will receive a $500 gift card from Tilt-A-Rack® (www.tilt-a-rack.com). Any unclaimed and/unused portion of prize package will be forfeited and will not be substituted, nor will there be any refund for any unclaimed and/or unused portion of the prize. All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the Winning Nominated Father. Winning Nominated Father will be sent an IRS Federal 1099-MISC tax form for the retail value of any prize at or above $600. No transfer or substitution of prize permitted, except that the Foundation reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event that the offered prize is unavailable. Prize values are in U.S. currency. All prizes will be awarded within 1 year of receipt of valid and executed winners' affidavit or prize confirmation. However, any portion of the prize not accepted by the winner will be forfeited. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify the nominee and to award the "Best Dad on Wheels" award and Contest prizes to the nominee of the next best Entry, as determined within the Foundation's sole and absolute discretion.
8. NO TAMPERING; RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY: The Foundation and Sponsor and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors shall not have any obligation or responsibility, including any responsibility to award any prize to entrants, with regard to: (a) Entries/Entry Materials that contain inaccurate information or do not comply with or violate the Official Rules; (b) Entries/Entry Materials, prize claims or notifications that are lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, damaged or otherwise not received by the intended recipient, in whole or in part, due to computer, human or technical error of any kind; (c) entrants who have committed fraud or deception in entering or participating in the Contest or claiming the prize; (d) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties; (e) any inability of the winner to accept the prize for any reason; (f) if a prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellation, delays or interruptions due to Acts of God, natural disasters, terrorism, weather or any other similar event beyond Sponsors' reasonable control; or (g) any damages, injuries or losses of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from awarding, acceptance, possession, use, misuse, loss or misdirection of any prize or resulting from participating in this promotion or any promotion or prize related activities.
The Foundation reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be (a) tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest, or with any Web sites promoting the Contest; (b) acting in violation of the Official Rules; or (c) entering or attempting to enter the Contest multiple times through the use of multiple e-mail addresses or the use of any robotic or automated devices to submit entries. If the Foundation determines, in their sole discretion, that technical difficulties or unforeseen events compromise the integrity or viability of the Contest, the Foundation reserve the right to void the entries at issue, and/or terminate the relevant portion of the Contest promotion, including the entire Contest promotion, and/or modify the Contest and/or select winner(s) to award the prize(s) using all eligible entries received as of the termination date. If the Contest is terminated or modified due to technical difficulties or unforeseen events prior to the expiration date of the Promotion Period, notice will be posted at www.ChristopherReeve.org.
9. RELEASE OF LIABILITY; DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY; FORUM SELECTION CLAUSE: By participating in the Contest, entrants and winner agree to release and hold harmless the Foundation and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury (including emotional distress), and/or death which may occur in connection with preparation for, or participation in, the Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of the prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims or causes of action based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. By accepting the prize, winner agrees that any liability concerning or arising out of the prize rests solely with the manufacturer of the goods or their affiliates. the Foundation and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors assume no responsibility for any injury or damage to entrants or to any other person's computer, regardless of how caused, relating to or resulting from entering or downloading materials or software in connection with this Contest. Entrants and winners acknowledge that the Foundation has neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representations or guarantees, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including, but not limited to, express warranties provided by the manufacturer of the goods or their affiliates. Except where prohibited, all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant or the Foundation in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the state of New Jersey without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the state of new Jersey, or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the state of New Jersey. In addition, any dispute relating to the Contest (including these Official Rules) shall be brought in the appropriate state or federal court having jurisdiction over the subject matter located in the County of Essex, New Jersey. Entrants hereby irrevocably consent to the personal jurisdiction of said courts and waive any claim of forum non conveniens or lack of personal jurisdiction they may have.